Tuesday, February 14, 2012

5 Clever Comebacks for Frenemies at Work

The idea of a frenemy may seem like a new concept, but the word, which blends friend and enemy together, first appeared in print as early as 1953. The article entitled, "Howz about calling the Russians our Frienemies" was posted in the Nevada State Journal and illustrated the point that enemies often disguise themselves as friends.

What was once political jargon is now a common reference in the workplace, and it's no wonder: The amount of time people spend at work today has left many friendless outside the office. The modern, informal corporate environment actually promotes professional and personal crossover. But sadly, not everybody plays nice in the sandbox.

For those coworkers who pal around and then undermine your authority, question your competency and pick boardroom fights, be prepared with these clever comebacks: 

To combat accusations: 
  • I don't know if that's an accurate characterization. If it turns out that I've made an error in judgment, then I will take action.
  • Right now we need to focus on this issue. There will be plenty of time to assign blame once we've implemented a solution.
To sidestep an insult masquerading as a compliment: 
  • Thank you. I work hard, and truly appreciate that you've noticed.
  • Thanks. I often wonder if I'm doing all that I can do. Your feedback is encouraging.
To squelch rumor spreaders: 
  • I need your help to clear up a potential misunderstanding. It seems conversations are occurring about me that aren't factual. What can you tell me about your participation?

1 comment:

  1. Useful suggestions! A few of these will definitely come in handy :)

    ReplyDelete